When unwanted white spots begin to appear on your teeth, flashing a big smile can get embarrassing. Whether you’re dealing with white spots after getting your braces off, or whether they’ve shown up without any apparent reason, our cosmetic dentist in Norwell, MA, can help! Keep reading to find out what causes whites spots on teeth and what you can do about them.
Everything You Need to Know About White Spots from Our 5-Star-Rated Cosmetic Dentist in Norwell, MA
White Spots on Teeth Have Many Causes
According to our Norwell cosmetic dentist, there are many reasons why you or your child may have developed white spots on one or several teeth. The most common are due to the following risk factors or conditions:
- Diet – If you consume a lot of acidic foods and beverages, the enamel on your teeth can be damaged by the excess acid, resulting in white spots. Another culprit is sugary foods that are broken down by acid-producing bacteria in your mouth and saliva.
- Orthodontic Treatment – Sometimes your teeth may have white spots once braces are removed. This condition can be due to the excess acid produced by hard-to-reach plaque build-up underneath the area covered by your braces.
- Excess Fluoride – While fluoride is scientifically proven to help prevent tooth decay, too much fluoride can sometimes cause noticeable white blotchy spots on your teeth. That’s why it is important for you to let our cosmetic dentist in Norwell, MA, know whether your home has city water or whether you get your water from a well.
- Certain Medications – Some prescription medications, such as specific types of antibiotics, can affect the production of teeth enamel and may cause the formation of white spots. This is particularly relevant in young children whose teeth are still developing, but who may have been prescribed antibiotics for a medical condition, says our Norwell cosmetic dentist.
- Genetics – Unfortunately – like many other physical characteristics – developing white spots on teeth is sometimes the result of your own family history. If you have relatives who developed white spots on their teeth, chances are that you will too. If you notice spots beginning to form on your teeth, contact our office to learn about recommended treatment options.
Have Questions About White Spots on Your Teeth? Call Our Cosmetic Dentist in Norwell, MA, for Advice Today!
How Do You Get Rid of White Spots?
Fortunately, our experienced cosmetic dentist in Norwell, MA, can help! We offer several whitening options for patients interested in removing blemishes or discoloring stains from their teeth. Call our expert team at Luxe Smile Dentistry to learn more!
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other topics related to dentistry, feel free to contact Luxe Smile Dentistry, with a convenient dental office near Norwell, MA, by clicking here or by calling 781.319.0070.